our macaroni salad recipe is quick and simple to prepare. a versatile and fool-proof pasta salad with an incredible creamy dressing!
A great summer recipe, our Macaroni Salad recipe is perfect to take to gatherings or parties, Bbq’s, lunches or dinners, or simply to serve as a side dish. You’ll love the mayo/sour cream dressing! It really kicks up the the flavours!
Macaroni Salad is quick to throw together and so DELICIOUS! Served in a light grey bowl on a grey linen cloth with a spoon for scooping.
Made with cooked macaroni pasta, red bell peppers (or capsicum), shredded carrot, red onions, dill pickles, crisp celery and chives tossed in the ULTIMATE dressing made with mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity.
Like a Perfect Egg Salad, this is a summertime must-make salad that can be stored in your refrigerator for a quick base for proteins like Tuna or salmon, or as a side for main meals.
It might be easier and convenient to go for store-bought, BUT making your own salad with fresh, crisp ingredients just tastes so much better!
dressing for pasta salad
When making a pasta salad, it’s best to toss it in A LOT of dressing to prevent it from drying out and getting pasty. Instead of using all mayo, we add in a bit of sour cream to cut through the fat, making it less oily. You can also use yoghurt or Mexican crema.
- WHAT TYPE OF MAYONNAISE? I suggest using whole egg mayo as it tends to be less sweeter and creamier than regular mayo.
- VINEGAR: adds a kick of tang! You can use white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar. Substitute with lemon juice for a citrus kick.
- DIJON MUSTARD adds MORE flavour, making it nice and thick.
- MINCED GARLIC completes the flavour profile. You can use garlic powder, onion powder or minced shallots if you prefer.
You all know how much we love drowning our food in sauce! That INCLUDES all of our salads and dressings. NO pasta salad recipe of ours will ever be lacking in dressing!
macaroni salad add-in options
Our Macaroni Salad is loaded with flavour and simple veggies. Having said that, there are endless additions to make it EVEN BETTER!
- curry powder
- crispy bacon
- hard-boiled eggs
- rotisserie chicken
- grape or cherry tomatoes
- sliced olives
- kielbasa or any smoked sausage
- Or enjoy it as a delicious side for Roast Chicken, Juicy Beef Brisket, Sticky Oven Barbecue Ribs or Steaks!
how long can you keep macaroni salad?
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Take it out of the fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving to get the chill out. It’s best when closer to room temperature or just slightly chilled.
can you freeze macaroni salad?
Absolutely! The day you need to serve it, thaw naturally for a few hours, then toss well.